Monday, November 12, 2012

Funeral for a Friend, Election Thoughts & Earthquakes


Hello World!

This week was really more sad than anything else. So much happened that I didn´t want to happen. I guess I will start with the sad stuff. First off, remember that young kid I baptized a while ago? Well two Sundays ago in the night his dad´s brother (that would be his uncle, duh) was killed. His name was Fransisco, he had some ties to gangs and was drunk in the street (this guy is NOT a member) and a rival gang member killed him in a very gruesome manner with a machete. So their family has been devastated this week, the family was recently baptized less than a year ago and they are really struggling now. We were in their house almost every day this past week helping them with a million and one problems because the guy that died, he has a 4 year old son named Steven and they had to take care of all the funeral arrangements and take care of Steven. It was nuts. And when the funeral came, well we went to his burial and it was probably the saddest thing that I ever witnessed. I knew Fransisco a little bit, a couple times he would come help us with service projects, but never wanted to hear anything from us about the church. And at his burial it was terribly sad seeing his son crying as they buried him. It was so sad because he was a good guy, but just made some bad decisions. The family that are members tried helping him change by inviting him to church and all those things, but I guess it's too late now.

Then what makes all this worse is two of our investigators (drunks as well) knew Fransisco and one day told us they will get revenge on the murderer and all this garbage, so we had to drop them for obvious safety reasons. This is all just so complicated that we didn't have time or even brain capacity to think about finding new investigators by talking to people in the street and all that. Finding new people to teach was the last thing on our minds this week. Then what made it all worse was Wednesday night when a drunk guy (yeah everyone here is always drunk) let me know that Obama won again. I really can´t believe that people still vote for the man, I don´t even think he's man enough for me to call him a man. Then this drunk guy was rambling on about how Romney is terrible and he threw a million insults at the republican party, insults that I won´t repeat, I wouldn't even say them if I wasn't a missionary! And I hear marijuana AND gay marriage is legal in Washington now??? Wow did I ever pick a good time to leave the country!! Really the people here don´t like Romney (or any Republicans) for two reasons: one, Republicans have tons of money, and two, Republicans don´t want to open the US border. REALLY?? When the drunk was rambling on about how evil and rich Romney is, I asked him if he knew how much money Obama has, then the drunk... stopped ... thought about it for a bit... and that really just made all his arguments invalid. It's sad knowing that people look at a successful businessman as a bad option for Prez. Business owners are not evil, they are intelligent and provide jobs for many people, I think that's a pretty nice characteristic for a man to have right? Anyways, I could continue for hours on how ridiculous this whole Obama thing is.. but I will say one more thing: I am ashamed of the American people.

Okay, so recently there was an earthquake in Guatemala this week, I didn´t feel it because I think it happened at night and I was asleep. But I have felt like about 8 tiny earthquakes now since I have been here. Who knows how many more have happened without me knowing, its normal here to feel short ones that last 4 or 5 seconds.

 So right now we have about 170 or 180 missionaries in this mission, but it really isn't enough. Elder Tenecora and I are so spread thin here. If you look on Google Maps at the city of San Vicente there's a main road that crosses the river Achuapa, the road running north and south, well we are responsible for everything on the East side of that street and the town called Tecoluca (a 20 min bus ride to the south). So we really do cover a ton of area. The other missionaries in this city cover the West side of that main road and including the town Apastapeque (to the North\NorthEast I think). Also the leadership in the church here is really broken, the leaders don´t follow up on their responsibilities. Three months ago we asked the branch prez to call a ward mission leader to help us, and we are still waiting for him to call one. So lots of times we are always trying to do what the leaders don´t do, and we also have to cover for the priesthood responsibilities such as bringing the sacrament to the people who are incapable of coming to church. Its really stressful, so that is why we want more missionaries here!!

Well... that's all I have got to share this week. I hope that you all have a great week!

Elder Vaughan!

No comments:

Post a Comment