Monday, June 18, 2012

El Fin Mensaje de Provo(logne) -- Last message from Provo(logne)

Hello!

So the past week has been idk, a blurr?? Anyways like I said before, each day feels like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day! We learn Spanish and teach investigators all day! The language is coming along much better, It is still stressful as ever, but I know that I will pick it up soon enough! So when we aren't learning Spanish in class, we are either eating, studying, or in some sort of a devotional or seminar! I swear, every single devotional and seminar we have attended has been focused on the Atonement of Jesus Christ, which it is crazy how much we hear about it, but I know that it is important as it is our purpose as missionaries to bring people to Christ. My testimony has definitely grown since I have been here!

So to prove that I have actually been learning Spanish here (and not just picking my nose) I will commit you to baptism En EspaƱol:

¿Seguira el ejemplo de Jesucristo al ser bautizado por alguien que posea la autoridad del sacerdocio de Dios?

Well I can't really get the accent marks to work correctly on this computer, but close enough. What that sentence means is:

Will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by somebody who possesses the priesthood authority of God?

Anyways, I am really amazed at how much Spanish I do know (and how much I don't know!) So I feel that going to Guatemala tomorrow will be insane, but do-able. So at the beginning of this week, an elder in our district went home early, Elder Griffin from Portland Oregon. He was struggling with health problems (he can't eat gluten) and the food here at the MTC was rough and he felt like he couldn't handle it in Costa Rica (where he was going to serve). It was really sad seeing him go because he was one of the few guys in my zone that I could talk to about something other than basketball! He is a great guy and was glad he was here for the time he was. It is also tough to say goodbye to all the other guys here in our zone as they are all awesome! But I know that I will meet plenty of great people in Central America! Although, I do admit, it will be nice to have the conversation among the Elders shift from basketball to soccer (most likely!).

The thing that I really don't get about the whole sports thing is that people cheer for teams for no apparent reason! For example, one elder says how he's a huge Miami Heat fan and how they are his favorite, bragging about how that team will win! I then ask if they have ever been to Miami or seen or met anyone from that team, he says no. To me, I liken the situation unto that of a dog urinating on a bush that is not his, and then calling it his own just because he released his fluids on it! It makes no sense to me! On the other hand if my father is cheering for the Denver Broncos, well that makes sense because he grew up near Denver, yes? Anyways, when people are freaking out because "OH YEAH THE THUNDER BEAT THE HEAT TODAY!!!!!" I just don't get why it matters that a team you have nothing to do with beats another team you have nothing to do with, to me its all a game. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the gym time we have here to play a game of ball, or even before I was here I enjoyed being in them! Sports are great!

It's funny when we're all talking about our life plans and what we want to study or do after the mission, a majority of the elders say stuff along the lines of exercise science or physical whatevers and things such as that, then when it gets to me I say Computer Science (for those who don't know, it is one of the most divine professions a man can possess in this life!), they all are like "...okay... that's so cool...". I personally love it! At meal times when the whole table is bragging about how many protein shakes they chug on a daily basis, me and Elder Sheldon Brown (who studies physics), always talk about nerdy stuff like technology or nuclear reactors! Everyone thinks were so weird, I love it! Go science!!

That is so cool that Dad got to drive the Survivor guy in the parade! Mother, that is not childish or pathetic, its not everyday when you become personally acquainted with a person who was on live television! I think it is cool at least! I hope you all are enjoying the last of school, and things sound to be moving along very well at the warehouse! I wish I could be there to continue helping!

So, my travel plans for tomorrow. Like I said in the previous email I sent all the times and stuff for flights. I know we will be leaving the MTC at 4:30 heading to the airport! So once we are through security and have found our gate, we are then allowed to make the calls home! So probably around 5:30 (4:30 Washington time). But be ready for whenever! I will first try by calling Dad's cell phone and if that fails, Mom's cell phone. The order is random, I just picked that so that you would know where to expect the call to come in at! There is no time limit given for how long we can talk, as much time as we have, also depending if we have to share the payphones with our group of 10 people, I don't know what the situation will be! So be ready for a long OR short call!!! I have a calling card to pay for the call, and when I do laundry today I will get some quarters for backup just in case!!

I am looking forward to calling you tomorrow evening! It will be great to hear from you!

Love,

Elder Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment